Most traditional aftershave splashes contain a significant amount of alcohol (mainly for its antiseptic properties). As a result, when applied to the face after shaving there is usually an intense stinging sensation that many men find uncomfortable. The simplest way to apply traditional aftershave and minimize the stinging (if you find it unpleasant) is to:
1. Give your face a final rinse with cool water after shaving, which helps clean the face as well as close the pores.
2. Then leave your face wet (or gently pat dry, if you prefer) and pour the aftershave splash into your hand. You'll add about a teaspoon worth of aftershave into the open palm of your hand.
3. Quickly rub your hands together for 1-2 seconds.
4. Leave your hands open for about 4-5 seconds. Doing so allows a large portion of the alcohol to evaporate from the aftershave.
5. In a downward motion, gently stroke the aftershave from your hands onto your face and neck. Applying splash aftershave this way minimizes the stinging from the alcohol and maximizes the fragrance and soothing oils of the aftershave.